View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

dmwphoto, if you don't have your plans made by now you may not be able to go this year. The Alganak Lodge is pretty popular and don't have a lot of openings each year. At least that use to be the case.

Vince, I fished and hunted all over Alaska and never carried a side arm. My partner always had his 44 mag on his hip so I never bothered. Of course when hunting we always had a rifle in hand. I think if you don't have a lot of practice shooting at moving game with a sidearm you will be much better off with a large can of pepper spray. Away from the river walking through bear brush your best precaution is to make noise. When you are on a river with bears and Salmon the bear is more interested in the Salmon. The biggest mistake you can make is to startle a bear. Most of the time the bear will beat feet but you just never know. We didn't have bear spray back in the 70's and noise was our best friend.

Just in case a bear decides he doesn't like you they may do a false charge or stand and rattle their teeth. You need to move off slowly and get out of what he considers his territory. Never turn and run, that is what food does.

I think talking is the best way to keep bears alert to your presence. Brush covered riverbanks will have many bear trails. Make sure if you move away from one bear you don't walk into another one. If for some reason you are alone you still need to talk. I use to walk around saying, Hello Bear, Whats up Mr. Bear and so on. Some people use to carry bells that jingled as they walked. I never liked that idea because bears are inquisitive. I was always afraid they might come to see what the devil that noise was.

Frank