View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What materials are a must to begin tying trout flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
Hopefully picking up my vice in the next couple of weeks and started looking at some tying material today. Wow...can that be overwhelming. What material do I need to pick up first to start practicing tying. I mostly nymph fish if that helps. Also, what books woud you recommend that show step by step instruction.
Thanks,
Tuck
Hi Tuck,
Whenever I teach fly tying classes, the first fly I teach is the San Juan Worm. What that teaches is thread control and whip finishing.

The next fly that I teach is the Woolly Bugger. That will teach the basic foundation of tying.

From there you can branch off to other flies. The next two flies that I teach are the Pheasant Tail and the Hare's Ear Nymph. After these two nymphs, you should be able to tie any nymph.

My favorite nymph book is Tying Nymphs by Randall Kaufmann.

MP