View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First attempt at a classic wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyWray View Post
This is my First attempt at a classic wet. I chose the Lord Baltimore because it looked simple , it was eye catching, and I had most of the materials.

This fly is tied on a Mustad 3399 size 6
Click the image to open in full size.

Personal thoughts on what to do better:
Need to work on my floss skills.
Use black floss not small wire for rib.
Keep the body bulk to a minimum.

Other constructive criticism Welcome.

Thanks
Bryan
Bryan,

The fly that you posted shares a lot in common with a pattern called the "Black and Orange".

If you're enjoying tying up classic wet fly patterns, then here's a link that may be useful to you.

Classic Wet Flies - Bergman and Beyond - Global FlyFisher

I think it will give you several ideas about patterns, proportions and materials; some or all of which may be useful.

If you're ever feeling particularly energetic as regards classic wets, then get yourself a copy of Ray Bergman's book entitled "Trout". In it you'll find over 500 classic wet fly patterns to choose from. Pics in the book are not great (it's an old book), but they're good enough and the original recipes are given for each of them.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 03-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.