View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Thanks Larry tell me how you go with it larry

Thanks Ard I also enjoy the old patterns they can be pleasing to tie and look at

The Turkey and Red (or Yellow)

Hook- 2-6
Tail- a bunch of brown turkey, the tail ends under the long wing tip
Rib- flat silver or embosed silver
Body- thick wool or mohair usualy yellow or red
Wing- brown turkey, tied long and swept back
Hackle- long soft red cock, let some cover the wing base but very sparse, tie the rest under
Head- black

Click the image to open in full size.

The turkey and red/yellow was one of the flies that was part of the transition from the classic brittish salmon fly to the Taupo streamer that is used today, and no Taupo angler would be with out turkey flies when they were in use.

This Old tie is suposed too be tied rough, thick wool or mohair was normaly used, later devalopments of the turkey was the split tie and in most cases the feather used was grouse, even this style of tying is now forgoten.

The method of tying a split fly is spliting the tail feather of a partridge or grouse and tie it in with the rib using the matching slips, I will do some split flies when I get some of materials needed, split flies were some of the most sucessfull tied and only lost popularity because of the cost of the sutible feathers ($2 each 5-10 years ago).

Chris

Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 04-03-2010 at 08:08 PM.