View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most effective cast for distance?

Fred,
I figured out why my single spey was not my best cast for distance, and now it is. When I was doing a cast like the circle spey I was getting a long sustained anchor. I have started using less arm and more back in my back stroke, and have been allowing the line to anchor better before going into the forward stroke. I perry poke before going into the back stroke because I use clousers most of the time and it gets them up shallow before I go into the cast. I think keeping the fly shallow was also part of the reason why circle spey and double spey casts worked so well for me. I have since refined my casting, can shoot the entire line. I don't because I end up with little loops sticking up in my backing when I strip the whole line off. I leave at least 4 or 5 turns on the reel. I am sure that on a calm day with a good place to put my line and some of the backing, I could throw the whole line clean out of the rod. The other day I was out and was hitting the reel with just a few turns of line left on the reel every cast. This is a photo of the line straight across the river like a chalk line.
Another quick question, I would really like to be able to get more distance, which at this point would require a longer line. I had been planning on putting it on the 15'10/11 I just bought. I was thinking that the Carron Jet Stream long belly with the 85 foot head would be a good line. The rod I got was the Albright GP. Would this line be a good match or would I better off with the next weight line down that has the 75' head?
Thanks
Dan
Click the image to open in full size.