View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM

mike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the rough
Default Kudos for RIO Products

A few months back I purchased the regular version of the RIO Gold flyline in a WF4F melon/gray dun color. I knew this line would be a good match for my new Loomis NRX 4 as I have had good results with this line and some faster Sage rods. Previously, I had only used the standard moss/gold color and this time thought I would change up colors since I had the moss/gold already in rotation on my NRX 6. Right after spooling up this line I had problems with memory coiling. Did a full line stretch but it only helped marginally. Fished the line anyway, but had to keep stretching it even with ambient temps in the 50-60* range. After two outings on the river and several yard casting sessions, I noticed what seemed to be a definite softening of the lines' core over the last 18" of the line just before the factory loop. This may have been induced from the stretching.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to give the folks at RIO a call and was utterly surprised to receive a live human voice on their end of the line. After stuttering and mumbling for a moment due to my shock, I began to explain my situation to this very nice and receptive person, and she explained that I should simply send them the used line and note to their warranty dept and they would send me a new one. Wonderful!

A week after they received my old line, I had a new RIO Gold (opted for the standard color this time...superstitious I suppose) WF4 line in my hands. Lined it up today on the same reel and strung it up on the NRX for a little yard session and can honestly say I am completely satisfied. No coiling issues, the coating is slick and the line is smooth and consistent as one should expect! Perhaps the old line was just from a flawed batch that eluded inspection or was subject to extreme temps while warehoused, I do not know. I do know that RIO stood behind their product and made it right! Kudos to RIO, they will continue to have my business: great products and great service! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk