View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Tips for Rocky Mountain N.P.

I am planning a trip to Colorado this summer. This is a sight-seeing trip with a day or two set aside for fly fishing. Part of the trip will include a couple of days in Rocky Mountain National Park. I want to fish the Big Thompson (in the Park) but was wondering what the situation was as far as crowds? If there are a lot of anglers would I get more seclusion if I hiked upstream to a more distant spot- how far would I have to hike and what time would be involved- I was planning on camping in the Moraine Camp ground and walking from there to the stream.

Then over the Trail Ridge Road. On the west side I was thinking about fishing the upper Colorado River within the Park. Once again- what would be a good spot?

I was born in Denver but left as a kid and haven't been back for years- the Big Thompson is something I want to fish even if the are better streams in the Park but the Colorado River is open to change if something better is available.

July or August? What would be the better month?

What flies? I do both dry and nymphs.

Thanks for any tips. Plus- any good camping sites in the Grand lake or west side of the Park.