View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default KISS Fly; King Salmon Tie

When it comes to salmon (especially Kings) I keep it simple. These fish are hitters and a large brightly colored fly anywhere near a fish will often bring a strike. Kings are also big and some will break off (even with a 25 lb. leader) so you don't want to be throwing flies that take half an hour to tie at them. Here is a combination of materials that has put salmon in our freezer more than once.

The KISS FLY

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tying:

Hook: Here I use a 1/0 single salmon, I tie these up to a 3/0 for Kings
Tail: A puff of Oregon Cheese Glo Bug yarn or similar
Weight: 10 - 15 wraps of lead wire on the shank
Body: Fluorescent pink chenille ribbed with a strand of bright red yarn
Throat: Same bright red yarn as the ribbing
Wing: A strand of that bright red wool from the rib is tied inside the Glo Bug yarn to form a wing.
Head: black
Note: the bright pink body is reflected in the wing and tail material and making it appear pink also. The wing is Lt. Orange but you can do these any way that suits you and they will all work.

These are simple to make and the red stripe in the wing is just the left over yarn (no extra step) clip the excess and use it for the throat. Then split the Glo yarn and tie it around the red wool. Nice, and about 3 - 4 minutes each.