View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM

canine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips for Rocky Mountain N.P.

I have been lurking around this forum for a while, but this is the first thing I've see that I may actually have a helpful reply for. I made that exact trip a couple of years ago, at the end of July. To make a short story long, I left a wedding in Loveland and drove up in the hopes of finding a place to camp in the park. I ended up in the Moraine campground. I had semi planned ahead and had a guide set up for that Monday. In the morning he took me to places down below Estes, and in the afternoon, he showed me places in the valley right below the campground. Now I never hiked down, but I did drive down into the valley everyday, and way up the gravel road right below (there are some places to pull over up towards the trailheads). Real neat place and lots of fun. Can't remember what I was fishing with exactly. The crowds I saw consisted of hikers (lots and lots of hikers) not a lot of fishers. Having the guide for the first day really helped. The few things I learned: buy groceries before you get to Estes, there aren't any showers in the campground, and they are really paranoid about bears and food. And I didn't see any moose, but a cow elk jumping up out of her bed on the bank above you will scare the bejeezus out of you. (A couple of pics if i can make this work)
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
I will now head to the intro page to introduce myself.