View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Flesh Fly

All over Alaska when the salmon stream into the rivers and creeks a contingent of really large Rainbow Trout seem to tag along. Are these really steelhead or simply big trout that dwell somewhere that keeps them safe from hook or view until their sea faring cousins come home to spawn? Some of my fishing grounds are way to close to the salt for me to believe that these trout have never tasted it, but does it really matter? As the salmon die off and pieces of meat are drifting in the channels this will attract the steelhead / trout for you as well as an egg. The one in my picture is used and has caught fish.

For late summer and fall fishing drifting one of these will bring more than one fish to shore. I try to keep them bouncing the bottom in deep runs and fish high stick style in shallow ones. Remember, Dead Drift like an egg.

The Flesh Fly

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Long shank streamer hook or single salmon sizes 1 - 6
Tail: A large bunch of red hackle fibers or red yarn or red bunny strip
Body: I wrap 10 turns of lead wire before dressing with lightly bleached brown bunny fur
Head: Tan mono cord with lacquer
(Note) you can find bunny strips at your fly shop or order them. You need not mess around bleaching your own.