View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Booby Fly Won't Float

Quote:
Originally Posted by one trick pony View Post
I've tied up a bunch of booby flies to use for smallmouth bass.

I used medium and large Rainy floating foam for the heads and #2 and #4 Gamakatsu Aberdeen hooks. I tied in the marabou tails and used chenille for the body.

But when I put them in the sink to test them, as soon as the feather/chenille is wet, the flies sink!

The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high. But I want mine to float for smallmouth and the darn things sink!

Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?
That's how the UK fishers tie them. I'd stick with the body ingredients you're using, but get larger foam for the eyes. There's a reason they're called Boobies. Fish it with a sinking line and 24" or longer leader. You have to give the fly time to sink to the bottom of the river then start your retrieve.
Here's Rainey's Booby barbell eyes
Rainys Flies & Supplies - Boobie-Barbell Eyes