View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Tackle review - Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 Fly Reel

Hi Everyone,

I weighed the reel on a postal scale and it may not be as accurate as it could be. I was surprised, but glad, that it came in lighter than what is posted on Allen Fly Fishing. Justin is trying hard to provide an inexpensive well built reel with good features. I like the fact that the spool has a nice wide arbor even if that sacrifices some backing. The XL 5/6 is primary a Trout reel and a sealed drag is not that important to me. The one I reviewed had a enclosed carbon disk drag but not really what I would call sealed.

If you look at this photo you will see the stainless cup that holds the drag disk. This stainless cup goes inside of another lip with close tolerances. You would really have to work at getting sand into the drag.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.