View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Ard's Double Dare

Every now and then during the King Salmon runs I get the chance to swing big classic style flies at them. I began tying this pattern when I moved to Alaska and it finds its way onto my leader every spring. Taken from the colors of the famous Dare Devil Spoon I called this the Double Dare. I first tied it on double hooks for silvers and pinks but began using it for kings three years ago.

Ard's Double Dare single hook;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Here I use a 3/0 single hook
Tag: Heavy French Braid in gold
Tail: Two Gold pheasant crests dyed scarlet red
Tip: Rear section is scarlet red floss, front is black floss. This tipping makes up half the hook shank
Body: Black chenille
Hackle: A scarlet red spay hackle is palmered over the black chenille body and then finished as a collar
Ribbing: Beginning at the black floss tip heavy French Braid brought forward and covering the hackle stem for strength
Wing: Up top place a full bunch of white calf tail

Double Dare two point;

Here's that #6 Double Hook;

Tie it;

Hook: #6 double salmon
Tag: Medium French Braid gold
Tail: Scarlet crest or hackle barbs
Tip: Scarlet floss
Body: Black floss
Rib: French Braid gold
Hackle: Scarlet Saddle as a collar
Wing: White calf tail

More classic patterns on doubles

The Pass Lake was originated by the Native people of Labrador in the early 1900's and has made its way from there all the way to Alaska.

Recpie;
Hook: Your choice double size 4 - 8
Tail: Brown hackle bunch
Body: Black yarn or chineile, I use mohair yarn here
Wing: White calf tail, goat, or bear
Collar: brown hackle

Maynard's Marvel was developed in New England in the early 1900's and was tied as a smelt pattern.

Hook: I have used a Mustad #4 here
Tail: Red or claret hackle
Body: Silver embossed tinsel
Wing: Three materials, Gold pheasant body on bottom, then light blue buck tail top with bronze mallard flank
Collar: Red / claret hackle tied down to a throat

The Rogue River Special, I have seen this pattern tied with upright wings made with calf tail on fine wire doubles but I used a heavy hook and tied streamer style wing here. Originated on the Rogue River in Oregon for steelhead & salmon fishing. Based on the productivity of flies like Thor and Skykomish Sunrise that share this basic color concept with the white wing this fly will catch fish for me this year.

Hook: Salmon double, your choice
Tail: Orange hackle fibers
Body: Rear is golden yellow silk - front burgundy floss
Rib: Gold tinsel
Hackle: A few turns of dark furnace hackle the longer the better, mine is a bit short but I figure it'll work.
Wing: Choice of white hair, buck tail, calf tail, white bear or synthetic
Eyes: Jungle cock eyes

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-25-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Add fly