View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Thanks Dan and Larry

Pocono Thanks, the Split Partridge is my favorite so far with the Tongario queen a close second the Tongario queen was the fly I was looking up in my new pattern book (the revamped tie I thought that the old one was worth a try) that made refrence too the others and got me started on the rest of the old flies

The Grey Ghost

Hook- 2-10
Tail- grey cock (soft)
body- silver flat
Wing- grey cock (soft) and tied down with the rib
Rib- silver oval or wire
Throat- grey cock (soft) dont have it too far from the body
Cheeks- jungle cock nails
Head- black tied silm

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a fly that was devaloped by the tackle firm Kilwell, and is a very good imitation of the white bait in lighter colours big sizes, and smelt in smaller sizes (#8, #10), this fly has survived many years and sill has people that use it today at one stage it was a farorite in Taupo untill the Jack Sprat came along which is the same fly but with a badger wing, and the anglers of the south island never took to the badger wing and still use the grey one (this is a fly that I have had the most sucess with when using long flies as most rivers have white bait and smelt in them) this fly is very diffrent today the head is grey too and the body is any colour you like with fluro green favored and a painted eye of white and black dot (if you plan a trip too low land NZ this fly is a must have).

Chris

Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 04-20-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling