View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Travel With Fly Rods

Hi Alan,

While I haven't (unfortunately) been able to air-travel with a fly rod since the "Christmas Bomber" raised the level of scrutiny, my experience previously never gave me any problems with either rod tubes or a rod/reel combo carrier. Although these most recently have been 4 or 5-piece rods, several years ago I had no problem carrying a two-piece 8-footer. Of course, I usually fly Southwest Airlines, who in my experience is the most "user friendly" airline.

One thing I have had problems carrying is my inflatable waist belt PFD with its CO2 cartridges. Although TSA regulations clearly allow them being carried on board as carry-on or checked as baggage, fully half the time the TSA screeners are not aware of this. Fortunately, I always carry a current copy of the TSA regulations specifically allowing carry-on of the belt and CO2 cartridges or I would have had them confiscated. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest you do the same with the TSA regs specifically allowing fly rods as carry-on baggage.