View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Thor steelhead version;

A true dual purpose fly for Salmon & Trout; for Steelhead / Trout fishing I like a slightly smaller hook thus a smaller fly. This is not to say that the fish will not slam a large fly but sometimes smaller is better. The Daiichi Alec Jackson hooks run smaller than their cousins in the standard salmon and steelhead hook lines. This fly is tied on a size three but would be comparable to a #6 in some single salmon irons.

Thor;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tie one;

Hook: Daiichi 2055 #3 gold
Tail: Red wool yarn / per Franks preference
Body: Claret yarn or dubbing, I dub this body and build to suite
Hackle: A nice full Dk. Brown saddle hackle as a collar and swept back a bit
Wing: White calf tail

[Note:] You may notice that I make little distinction between trout and steelhead when writing about the applications of a fly. This stems from the fact that many of the indigenous rainbow trout visit the Ocean Inlets and grow to a very large size. Whether or not they are actually a pure genetic steelhead makes little difference when you hook into a trout having the same proportions as a Coho Salmon, this is my rational.