View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel With Fly Rods

Neil,

I was given some "local" flies to fish, which did not look very much like the common US patterns; neither the dries nor wets. But, the most productive fly that I used in two days of fishing near Nikko was a parachute Adams, in size #18. Although perhaps not a favorite pattern yet in Japan, it was certainly a favorite with their trout and char species.

When I returned, I sent Neversink (who has fished extensively in the Catskills; hence his forum name) a box of flies that work well here in the Pocono Mountains, including the parachute Adams pattern in a variety of sizes. I believe he also found that these flies work well in Japan.

Overall, although we're separated by some pretty large pieces of water, insect life around the globe tends to be surprisingly similar; from one geography to another. What varies are the features that each country/region/culture focuses on when they develop patterns to mimic the local insect life. This, to me, is what shows up as the differences between flies from one region and those from another.

Pocono