View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: new to me rod question

If you have this type:
Click the image to open in full size.

Yup... don't force that spigot ferrule together. There should always be a gap between the sections when assembled properly. With wear and time (and abuse maybe) it is possible the sections could butt against each other but that then calls for a repair.
I loaned a friend an old T&T Extra Dry Fly and got it back with the butt sections touching. Lucky for me T&T serviced and repaired it even before the lifetime warranties were in place.
What will help the sections stay together in use if the ferrule isn't ruined is a little paraffin wax on the raw graphite slug. It helps in dis-assembly too.

I watched a guy at Winston hand fit one of those ferrule systems. In seeing the amount of tweaking he did to make it perfect I can better understand why some rods cost a bit more!