Thread: The local derby
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default The local derby

Last weekend I took my daughter Maeve to a youth trout derby run by a local sportsman's club. It was a beautiful sunny day, and the brookies were biting. The club stocked about a half mile of stream with 500 fish for the youngsters to fish, all Brookies anywhere from 8 to 12 inches. What I like about the Derby.....all the kids get a prize. There are no prizes for the biggest or the most caught, or anything like that. All participants are winners!

Click the image to open in full size.

Notice her right hand on the line. I bought her a beautiful vintage Fenwick 6 foot 5 weight fly rod and reel, but its not PINK!

Click the image to open in full size.

Maeve caught and released 8 trout in about half an hour. Talk about peaking an interest! And yes, fathers, at age eleven you can see why my nightmares are just beginning! Not with fishing......with boys.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

can anybody tell me where to buy a pink fly rod?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.