View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 PM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Default Conditioned Fish

Hello all:

Just thinking of a recent trip to the San Juan and wanted to throw a question out there. What are your thoughts on how fish may/may not become conditioned to fishing pressure only?

I know there are many other factors that often affect when, where, and how fish are biting (e.g. weather, water temp, flows, biomass, etc.). But I was wondering whether some waters -- especially those such as the San Juan that seem to get hit hardest on weekends -- seem to be conditioned to be less active, more selective, etc. during certain times (i.e. weekends vs. weekdays). So, holding other considerations constant (*geesh*, that sounded like something out of one of my stats classes, I've got to get out more ;o) ), what about the timing of human presence on fish activity?

I'm inclined to think this can and does occur. I know some of my bias comes from years of hunting (rifle/archery) and seeing how big game species are often active by week day versus weekend pressure. During that trip to the San Juan, I had a very successful day on the Friday we fished it. I turned around on Saturday, when the environmental conditions were very similar, and found the fishing to be much more difficult. They were still taking, but you had to work much harder for them.

*Sigh* maybe I'm just looking for one more excuse to add to my current repertoire to explain away slow days on the water. I've needed them.

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SanJuanBow.jpg (16.6 KB, 57 views)