View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 PM

Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Conditioned Fish

It's an interesting question and, based on the little I know about learning theory, here are a few ideas.
1) If the fish are really becoming conditioned to a seven day cycle where fishing pressure is more on the weekends, then you would expect to see several things. First, high fishing pressure on holidays that fall on a weekday should not affect the fishing ie you should catch just as many fish on Tuesday July 4th as you do on Tuesday July 11th.
2) Weekend fishing should still be slower than mid week during the winter months when fishing pressure is lighter.
3) if the fish are really less active on weekends I would think that it is simply the presence of more people disturbing their environment, whether they are fishing or just kayaking etc.
4) If fish are capable of this type of behavior, there is probably well documented evidence of it in aquariums where the presence or absence of people and other factors like food are well controlled.

My guess, for what it's worth? The fish are not establishing a cyclical pattern they are less active simply because there is more disturbance on weekends than during the week.