Thread: Lightning
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lightning

Yesterday in Bridgeport CT.one man was killed and three injured when lightening struck the jetty they were fishing
LINK

Not that I don't respect lightning, but I don't always run for cover at the first flash either.
The news story reminded me of a day on the bridge in the picture below.
On a dropping tide large stripers will sit in the outflow of those culverts and feed on herring. The locals are well aware of this and line up across the flow. A fly fisherman would not be welcome during prime time.
One day we were having our lunch and watching the action when a thunderstorm came up and surprisingly, all the fishermen left and the bridge was empty
I couldn't help myself and took advantage of the situation, fishing during the crashing thunder and downpour. I caught a couple of nice fish that day and have always thought that I made a good call fishing that outflow when I had the chance.
Today, after seeing this news, I'm questioning the sanity of my actions that day. While there's hills on both sides of that flow, I was definitely the tallest thing in the immediate area.
If the same situation came up today, I think that I might stay in the car instead of out in the rain, swinging a 9' lightning rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.