Thread: Alaska Guiding
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska Guiding

franzenangler: Hopefully some of the guides on the forum will jump in here and offer advice. One thought I had is that you might look at trying to attend one of the fly fishing guide schools offered around the country. Another approach would be to attend the fly fishing shows in the winter and talk with the lodge owners directly about employment. Here is just one outfit offering fly fishing guide schools: Colorado Guide School-Become a Professional Fishing Guide - Cutthroat Anglers
Another approach might be to try to get employed by one of the local fly shops in your area, maybe starting out in retail and working into a guide slot as you prove yourself to the shop owner. Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a great book on guiding in Alaska called The Alaska Chronicles by Miles Nolte. Miles points out the work is hard and the hours are insane but don't let that deter you, if that is your passion you will have a great time and learn valuable lessons from guiding in Alaska.
Good luck!

Larry