View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spoonflies for Redfish

I promised some pictures... so here they are. I'm no artist like some of you folks, but my flies catch fish. This pattern starts as a 2/0 stainless Mustad straight eyed hook. I bend the shank of the hook into an arc with pliers so it resembles a huge scud hook. I tie in a crystal flash tail, and then I X-wrap 30lb test mono onto the butt of the hook with kevlar thread. I bend the mono back to the eye of the hook creating a tear-drop shape, and wrap it onto the hook positioning the ends of the mono as weed guards. Then I use a product called E-Z Sparkle Body (a liquid latex material) and a tooth pick to "web the gap between the mono and the hook shank. Its tricky at first but easy once you get the hang of it. I use a rotating drying wheel to keep the liquid from sttleing to one side. After the E-Z Sparkle "bubble" is cured, I coat it with two part epaxy to strengthen it. The finished fly is 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. My guide in Venice, LA is the guy that wanted me to try and upsize the smallish spoonflies comercially available. I found the basic pattern online...but modified it to work with the E-Z Sparkle.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.