Thread: Rod Length
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty fly View Post
I was thinking about my next purchase and talked with a friend that fishes strictly with a 9'6" fly rod. He says he won't go back to using his 9' rods as his longer fly rods allow him to cast further, roll cast and mend better.

He fishes the Yuba and Feather most of the time but travels to all over Western States to fish.

How many of you prefer a 9'6" over a standard 9' rod?
The 9'6" rod is the compromise rod. It gives a little bit of extra length for casting and line control. It is short enough to be a precise caster. I actually used a 9'6" 6 weight in the past for those reasons.

Now I use a 9' 6 weight because I wanted a quicker 6 weight for chucking streamers. Within most rod series, the 9' rod will be quicker than the 9'6" rod.

Besides I own an 11' 6 weight switch that I use as a nymph rod from time to time.

With the Yuba and Feather being primarily drift boat/nymph rivers, I can see why your friend fishes 9'6" rods.

If it means anything, I use 9' rods for my 4, 5, and 6 weight single handers.

MP