View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many of you have broken rods while casting?

Having been in the retail bicycle biz, here's a little warranty story. In the early 1990's, Bell Helmets included a little warranty card in the box, stating that if
the helmet was damaged, the owner could send it to Bell along with $20, and receive a replacement. LOTS of people stomped on their helmets after a year,
and got a replacement for only $20.....LOTS. I don't believe Bell still offers this gift of perpetual helmet replacement.

I've often wondered how many fly anglers snap a rod after it gets scratched too much. An $700 rod made perfect again for $50....I'm sure many people would take advantage of that. I've broken one fly rod, and two spinning rods: both in car doors. I've never broken a rod while fishing, but my wife has bent rods in half when trying to net a fish! Still, no breakage. Sage offers a spare tip for about $150 (for a ZXL rod), and I called last week to find out what their turnaround time was. The woman told 6 weeks, but I have enough rods that I don't need to spend another $150 to continue fishing. The $50 regular fee seems kind of steep considering the price of the rods! They are nice rods, but I don't know if I'd spend that sort of money again. I cast another angler's Sage Vantage a couple weeks ago, and that was a very nice rod (at 1/3 the cost of the premium models!).

YouTube ff'ing videos display lots of rod abuse, especially after the fish is caught: the rod gets dropped onto rocks, the bottom of the boat, into themwater, so that the angler can get a pic with the fish. I have warranty coverage, but treat my rods as if I don't.....

Reels are another issue altogether. I view them like women view jewelry, but I don't look too long and hard, or else I'd be broke.