View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question New Fly-Tying Light

I ran across what for me is a novel fly-tying light setup that I am considering, and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it? The basic light costs $55 (at Lands End, the only place I've seen it so far), and magnetically attaches to a cross piece which is connected to the vise stem (see 1st image below). An additional light (@ $45) can also be attached to give cross-angle lighting of your fly (see 2nd image below). One advantage - particularly if traveling - is that each light uses a single AA battery, helpful if wherever you're tying doesn't have an electrical outlet handy. Another advantage is that the light(s) should be easily adjustable infinitely due to being held in place by magnets. A third advantage is that they can be used as pocket flashlight(s) when not being magnetically held in place. Each light has 12 LEDs and both together produce 200 foot-candles (I don't know enough about lighting to know if this is sufficient, but presume it must be close or they wouldn't sell it as specifically for fly-tying).

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Any experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated.