View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: stripping glove or finger guard

Mac,

If I were going to tape some fingers they would be on my rod hand. When I got that burn / cut, I had positioned the line under the fingers of my rod hand and was palming with my left. The fish easily overpowered the drag of the reel I was using and I was employing every means to try to slow it. I'm going to take a guess here and say that I think most of us know better than to get our line hand mixed up with the line when a fish takes off. I was routing the line under my index and middle fingers in order to create a sharper angle than that of a strait run to the stripping guide and thus creating a little additional resistance. (Ouch)

My answer to all of this was not tape, gloves, or any other apparel for the hands. I bought two Orvis Odyssey big game reels and last year a Hardy Cascapedia 8/9. Both of these bruisers have a drag that can snap a 25 lb leader and there is no need to get your fingers into the works.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;