View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to understand Spey Lines? Help!

"Moscapescador" is a member here who works in the tackle business and is also a two hand fly fisher. Last year when I was having the same confusion regarding line to rod relationships he was very patiant and through a series of PM (Privet Messages) he was able to help me to choose a line for my rod.

The transition from what one knows about single hand rod lines to the sometimes vague world of 'Spey' lines can be a challenge. What I know now is that a short head line is helpful when first learning and that after understanding the basic casts I am prepared to move to a more traditional long belly line. As for the proper weight in grains for your rod St Croix will be the best source for you to aim your questions. That is unless Moscapescador has the hands on knowledge with that rod and there is a good chance that he does.

You can find him by looking for his posts in the 'One Word' game and then send him a PM.

Ard

PS. As for price and additional tips; I have found that having a selection of tips is a very handy thing unless you are always going to be fishing in rather shallow water under the same conditions. I was able to buy a SA 550 gr short head system from a seller on the e bay for 49$. I find that I am using the Hi Density tip almost exclusively in the early season.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;