Thread: Winston rods
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston rods

I've only wiggled them in the shop. Seemed much stiffer than Winston LT and WT rods.

Honestly....Why spend $300+ on a chinese rod, when there are plenty of fine USA made rods? St. Croix Avids are nice, and I've owned a couple. The St. Croix Legend Ultra is also very nice, and both are made in the USA.

Redington rods are made in China, and priced fairly....sort of. Redington rods can be bought from this forums online shop, and shipping is free. I liked the two Redington rods I've owned, and thought the workmanship was fine.

Sage makes two rods in the USA that cost the same or less than the Vapor: the Vantage and Flight. I only have experience with the $250-ish Vantage.
Light weight, responsive, and an excellent casting tool. Winston markets their legacy, but decided that they needed to make some money at a lower price point. Rather than using a different brand name (like Sage does with Redington), they slapped the Winston label on a chinese rod. Why is it that St. Croix, Sage, and other USA companies can offer rods made here for the same price or less?

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:43 AM.