Thread: Winston rods
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd001 View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering what you guys thought of the winston vapor? It's made in China but I have read some good reviews. I know it's not going to be anything like something off the performance series. I trust all your opinions and they really do help so thank you.
The Winston Vapor fits a niche as a price point rod, but it is a darn good casting rod. It is "Winston fast," meaning it is fast but not so fast. That will allow it to be more forgiving, but yet it will have some punch to throw larger flies. I actually like the 4, 5, and 6 weight Vapors more than Sage Flights in those line weights. If the Vapor had the pretty green finish and the premium components, it could pass as a premium rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Winston markets their legacy, but decided that they needed to make some money at a lower price point. Rather than using a different brand name (like Sage does with Redington), they slapped the Winston label on a chinese rod.
The Vapor was designed by the guys at Winston. It's just made offshore. Once the offshore rods are received by Winston, the same quality control staff that monitors "green" rods inspect them. If the rod performs to Winston standards, it's a Winston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Why is it that St. Croix, Sage, and other USA companies can offer rods made here for the same price or less?
Winston does not have the budget or facilities to make price point rods in the USA. All the money saved by having the Vapor made offshore allows Winston to make some of the best premium fly rods on the market. Its Twin Bridges facility is more of a craftsman's shop rather than a mass production facility. I am sure that Winston doesn't produce one tenth of what St. Croix produces (think economy of scale).

MP