Thread: Winston rods
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston rods

I knew you were going to respond to my post, Dennis, but I felt that it had to be said. While the Vapor may cast weill, does it cast better than the USA made Sage rods at the same price point? How about the other USA made rods? As far as inspection goes, I can't see that taking more than minutes. Trek bicycles
expanded from a relatively small shop in the early 1990's, and began buying overseas frames. They were one of the first bicycle companies (which included Schwinn) to use thier name to sell an Asian bike. Trek and Schwinn put logos on the frame stating "Designed and Engineered in the USA", complete with an American flag! When I was a Schwinn dealer, the FTC ordered Schwinn to use a larger "Made in China/Taiwan/Japan" decal under the iconic Schwinn badge.
Some dealers simply peeled the diminutive decal off the bike entirely, but we complied. We also sold loads of USA and Italian made bikes and frames, and the
overseas Schwinns simply met a price point. Schwinn had made masterpieces and garbage in the USA up to that time, and everything in between, so it wasn't
a big deal. The FTC thought that the "Schwinn Chicago" badge gave people the impression the bike was made in the USA, however, and many people were
surprised when I told them they weren't. The only Schwinns made in the USA by 1991-92 were being made in Grenville, MS, and there weren't many of those.
The others were made by the Waterford Bike Co, in Waterford, WI. They were superb bicycles, and we were proud to talk about their pedigree.

When a customer buys a Vapor, do they feel they're getting a Winston, and the pride of ownership that the USA made Winston owners have? Does
anyone ever say, "No Thanks" after discovering that Vapor is made in China? We had that happen.

Here's a Winston factory tour video.

Winston uses "home wrappers" just like Sage and St. Croix (there might be other companies that do this as well). So not everything is done in house with the
USA made rods, but it is done in the USA.

EDIT Trek bought many of the small, yet respected names in mountain biking during the 1990's: Bontrager, Fisher, Klien, and even Lemond, and used them as marketing labels on anything and everything made overseas. I'd like to see legendary U.S. names reserved for products made in the USA, and another brand name used for overseas products. I'd like to see a lot of things, however, so.......

Last edited by FrankB2; 06-11-2010 at 08:52 AM.