Thread: Winston rods
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston rods

The Legend Ultra is a fine rod. I've owned a couple, but sold them when the "I have too many 5wt's" realization hit me (it hits everyone eventually ). It's well-built, and would be a nice rod for almost anyone that likes medium fast rods. I actually sold almost all of my 5wt rods after deciding that 4 and 6wts would do fine. I've since partially restored my 5wt collection. The Elite is faster, and might be something that you'd want to try before buying.

Whether or not the Vapor is a quality rod isn't the issue for me. It's the low man on the totem pole (no pun intended) of an otherwise premium company, and has to be made in China for some reason(???). I'm siding with the Winston employees on this one.

Are there any shops nearby?

P.S. St. Croix has now extended its warranty to used rods made after around 2002. This applies to the Avid, Legend Ultra, and Legend Elite. Not a
bad deal, especially when you can find used Legend Ultra and Elites at very reasonable prices on ebay.

PPS: I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm arguing with Moscapescador over this issue. Dennis is a fine man,
and I have nothing but respect for him and his opinions. He has helped me and many others on this forum, and I can only imagine that he is a straight-shooter
in his retail business.