Thread: old bamboo rod
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: old bamboo rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstone07 View Post
hello, I have an old, three piece bamboo rod that has

"Ed M. Hunter approved,
8 1/2-HDH"

written above the grip. Can any one tell me about this rod, and is it possible to restore it so that I can fish with it? Its in pretty good condition, the grip looks well used, the only thing is that when I put it together, the tip looks bent to the right. There is also a replacement tip with it, but it also looks like its bent to the right. Is there any way to fix this?
The rod you have was built by the Phillipson Rod and Tackle Co. The Ed M. Hunter rods were not labeled as Phillipson rods and were sold as private label rods from some hardware stores. The glue lines on your rod should be quite visible due to the type of glue that was used.

Your rod is made for a 6 weight line as stated by wtex50. I have found that some bamboo rods lose some of their stiffness over time and require a lighter line that it was designed for. I would try a 6 or 5 weight before buying any line to make sure you have the weight that your rod will cast best.