Thread: old bamboo rod
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: old bamboo rod

If this is a Phillipson - then you have yourself a good rod..I knew they made some private labels....just didn't recognize the Hunter label....I have a Phillipson Paragon 8 1/2 ft that works perfectly with a 6 wt DT line...but I can also use a 5 wt. Phillipson's were made in Denver from, I think 1951 until they sold to 3M in the early 70's...Bill Phillipson had worked for years for the Granger Rod company. having both tips increases the value...If in decent shape and the sets can be straightened.. you are probably looking at a value in the $250 - 300 range. If you have the original tube and sock the value increases among collectors. the rod is a true Western rod and has a medium fast action......Bamboo is a blast to fish and Phillipson made some great rods....the secret with most bamboo is to slow down...and let the rod load and do the work for you. Good Luck.....by the way always store your bamboo by braking it down...store vertically and make sure it is completely dry before you put the cap tube on....there are a number of sites ou there where you can rad up on care of boo rods. good luck