View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Mods = BIG differences

Here are a couple of tricks. You can put flies on a diet. You can change materials. A fly that I use commonly is Rick Anderson's Bird of Prey. These are the October Caddis versions. The first one is an overseas production tie.

Click the image to open in full size.

This one is my tie.

Click the image to open in full size.

On my October Caddis, I slimmed the body down. Instead of going with .035" lead, I used .030" lead. In the waters that I fished, the thicker body fly seemed to snag more often. The lighter body fly seemed to snag less. I also changed the wing and tail material. I used gadwall flank feathers instead of partridge. To me, the darker color looks more realistic. I also use peacock colored ice dub for the collar instead of peacock herl. That's because I have lots of it.

If I could retie my fly, I would thin out the tail a bit. I think I tied it to thick. Consider that another diet.

MP