View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Analyzing Yourself

I think tbrill... is on the right track. Distance is great, but accuracy will catch you more fish. Accuracy is good, but being accurate at 70' opens up even more possibilities. Casting distance and accuracy aren't the only things needed, since we don't normally fish from elevated positions with no overhanging obstacles, or when lucky enough to do so, without wind. And then there's the need to get a good drift in moving water, which involves many added skills.

Becoming an "advanced caster" depends on the environment need as well. An advanced caster who does seemingly magical things in dense smoky mountain streams may look like a clumsy goof with a 10 wt in hand on the bow of a Bahamian skiff trying to snag a Permit, and vice versa.

I think a good definition of an "advanced caster" is one who falls in the top 5% of fly-fisher-folk in the ability to present a fly that catches fish, taking all fly fishing situations into account. (i'm not there, yet)

Whether skill with two-handed rods is taken into account is a whole 'nother ball game.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.