Thread: rod ferrule wax
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: rod ferrule wax

This is probably a lot more than you were looking for, but there's an interesting split between the major rod manufacturers and other experts as to whether wax is best for rod ferrules. Sage and Orvis suggest &/or provide wax, but others advise against it.

The plus for wax is that it not only prevents ferrule freeze-up, but fills tiny gaps that exist between the male and female parts, thus holding the two parts together better. The negative for wax is that it tends to retain gritty materials like sand that over time will wear the ferrule joints, leading to joints not holding together. Those who believe wax is bad recommend several of the ferrule lubricants like U-40 and Renzetti's equivalent. These lubricants keep the ferrule joints from sticking, yet don't attract grit like wax does.

My solution to this conundrum is to use the U-40 (or Renzetti brand equivalent), first cleaning off the wax I had previously coated the ferrule joints with. This ferrule lube has kept the ferrules easy to separate, and since I've used it only on fairly new rods, there's no ferrule joint wear needing wax to fill. If and when I decide the U-40/Renzetti lubricant isn't doing the job as well as I'd like, I can always then switch to wax.

FWIW . . .