The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alaska Fishing on a Budget

The new online fishing magazine Bloodknot has an article on using the Alaska Railroad for accessing some remote streams in Alaska. The outdoor enthusiasts take advantage of the flag stop service to access numerous remote camping, hunting and fishing areas throughout the state. The Alaska Railroad is one of the nations last flag stop railways. The roundtrip ticket price is $45, you will receive a train schedule and extraction points for the coming days.
Blood Knot
Here is a video of a group that used the Alaska Railroad to get to some remote water on the Susitna river drainage.

Larry

Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska Fishing on a Budget

Nice video Larry,thanks for sharing
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Now that looks like fun...where do I sign-up!!

Larry, thanks for sharing

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Now that looks like fun...where do I sign-up!!

Larry, thanks for sharing
I lived in Alaska for 16 years and only rode on the railway one time and that was an overnight trip from Fairbanks to Denali, so I didn't take advantage of the flag stops, now in hindsight I wish I had. Here is a link to the Alaska Railroad's web site if your interested in this sometime in the future.
Alaska Railroad Depot Locations

Larry

Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Larry,

I have considered this trip and live just 6 miles from the depot here. I would do this if it were not for those darn Salmon! Once the rivers fill with fish ranging from the 3 pound pink salmon to the 50 pound (and larger) kings it's a tough call to leave. This is not to mention the other three species of salmon and the large trout and char that sometimes turn up among the salmon.

I am aware of the rails and where they take you here but I am a salmon fisherman as long as there are salmon to fish for and I am living here and well enough to chase them.

There are worse things to be addicted to,

Ard
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-02-2011, 01:46 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Larry,

Thanks for the information I will check it out. I have been thinking about a trip to Alaska for some time. The biggest problem is finding a buddy to go along with me that can afford it. It just might come down to the wife being my buddy on a Alaska fly trip

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on that train from Anchorage to Whittier where we boarded a ferry that took us to Cordoba for a week of silver fishing on the Eyak River - sweet. What a ride through the mountain and some gorgeous country. Next time I'll have to look into using the train for along the way fishing destinations

Kelly.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM

bloodmeridian is on a distinguished road

What a great adventure!! And the history to witness! I'm glad to see you guys enjoyed the article and that group's video. This trip is def on my own bucket list.

-Matt
Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmeridian View Post
What a great adventure!! And the history to witness! I'm glad to see you guys enjoyed the article and that group's video. This trip is def on my own bucket list.

-Matt
Matt, great work on the article, I enjoyed it and the video, keep up the great work.
I just wish I had explored the Alaska Railroad options for getting into the bush when I lived up there! That sure does sound like a great way to get away from the crowds without spending a small fortune.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Nice job on the article Matt. That was sweet. Now there is another thing on the bucket list. Damn, I gotta get a bigger bucket.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/