The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Alganak

Has anyone on here ever been to Alganak lodge? I am told it is one of the best places for the salmon run in late July. This year one could catch all four species as it is a year the pinks should be running too. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alganak

Hi Dave,

I sent a PM earlier did you get it? South West is a long way from here but I may be able to help.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ard. Yes I got your PM just been buried at work today. I will shoot you a PM back this evening. Thanks!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dave,

The Alagnak is a popular destination river. You can get a lodge down river and they fish mostly the lower section of the river and up into the braids. They use jet boats to move around the lower river. Your Salmon will be fresh from the salt. If you fish with the Alagnak Lodge on the lower river you should try to make a fly out to Moraine Creek. The Creek gives you the opportunity at 30+ Rainbows and is a favorite fly out for many Lodges. They land at a lake above the creek and you have to hike down and back. Some stay on the creek and use electric wire around the camp to keep the bears at bay.

Some Salmon spawn in the braids that have a lot of gravel and is fairly shallow. You can fish for Rainbow here but they won't be the size that is routinely caught on Moraine Creek. Don't get me wrong, the Rainbow fishing in the braids can be great. The side channels/sloughs will hold Grayling. Some people float the Alaganak by putting in at the out let of Nonvianuk Lake. You float down to the braids and are picked up at the lower river.

Another very good fly out is to the braids on the Kvichak river. This area also has gravel bottoms and a bunch of Salmon Spawn here. A good chance at 30+ Rainbows but the best way to fish it is by a power boat. I don't think there is any river in Alaska that gets more Salmon up the river than the Kvichak. The Alagnak Lodge may have boats they leave at the fishing here.

The Alagnak is closer to King Salmon and most people fly to Anchorage, to King Salmon and then Float plane to the Alagnak River or Nonvianuk Lake. Another option is to fly to Kodiak from Seattle and from Kodiak to King Salmon.

Frank
Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Frank thanks for taking the time to go into that much detail. Very helpful.
The reality is if I catch the worst of what Alaska has to offer it will likely beat the best I have experienced thus far. Planning a trip like this is no easy task. Many things have to be thought through to avoid dissapointment. I will give your words careful consideration.
Dave

Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Another thing to consider is the timing of the trip. If I was going I would choose either July to be in the heart of Chinooks, Sockeyes and Rainbows or Aug/Sept to be in the Cohos and Rainbows. Who cares about the pinks and chum!

Larry
Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dave,

Glad to help. If you are looking for a lodge or a place to go I might be able to help you out. PM me your budget. Post here what is most in important for you to catch.

Dang, I just saw your post again and The Alagnak Lodge is what you are asking about. I am glad I covered it. In general the Alagnak Lodge is well thought of and is a good destination. I have not stayed at the Lodge.

Frank
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

Dave,
If you still have questions re: The Alagnak give me a shout (pm or call, the number is on my site see signature) I have been fishing it for a few years now Ok over 25 ..lol

Paul Hansen

Oh and Alagnak Lodge is a good outfit... I need to think about stopping by there this summer, but I so rarely get to stay in lodges.....'grin'

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 PM

thanks Paul. I am cruising around your site now.