The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Talking Soon We Will Be Back On The Map;

It is getting near; fishing that is! Seward is bringing Kings in on Resurrection Bay and the weather is warming. Nerka (a member from Anchorage) tells me that the clamming was good down the Kenai Peninsula last weekend but he also reports there was still some unstable shelf ice on the rivers' edge down that way. This is the hardest time of year here, the snow & ice are almost gone from the rivers but the fish have not moved back yet. Where I fish the trout & char are transients. Trying to time when they will begin migrating back to where they were when I last saw them is a gamble.

Tomorrow I am going to take the motorcycle on a trip to some lakes and rivers / creeks to check conditions. Getting out and scouting is the first step but my senses tell me the fishing is about another ten days away.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Soon We Will Be Back On The Map;

Very nice well fed fish you got there
Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Darwin,

Yes it was, these are Dolly Varden Char or 'char' for short. They are found in many rivers, creeks, lakes and also develop as sea run in some watersheds. Some get really large and they act very similar to a brook or brown trout when caught, not much for jumping but hug the bottom and run short and hard. I have been fortunate in that I've stumbled into fish like that in such great numbers I began to feel guilty for catching them.

The fish below demonstrates a larger one. The tailors tape I had with on this day was 26" long and the fish was a bit longer.

Both of the fish were taken by a streamer, 'Ard's Nine Three' pictured below;

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Hello Ard,

Very nice fish! I was hoping to be in your neighborhood this summer, but I am starting to get the feeling it may not happen. The Red bits of color behind you, is that salmon ready to spawn?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Congrats, that Nine Three fly is a hot pattern!

Larry

Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I envy you Ard!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

best in the world! heres one from last summer

Click the image to open in full size.

and ard, my brothers already catching steel on the kasilof.

ARFE
Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fish Ard...I do understand how excited you are to go back fishing after the long winter months(I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms when I can't fish for a week)
Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Hi Casey & JP, Larry, you too

That's a nice one there and the trout sounds good right now too. I have work that needs to be done before we go down that way. From where I am in the Valley it is a 300 mile one way drive to Kasilof. When that trip happens there is a Chevy truck and a boat involved so we need to stay for a while once there. I haven't bought gas for a while but I noticed it is $4.11 / gallon here and $4.36.9 down there along Sterling Highway right now and in a week it may cost more. This makes day trips a thing of the past so we are planning extended stays at all our destinations this year.

Last year I caught a couple really big char in the Kenai but there were no pictures We had an incredible number of rainy days last year and toting my camera was out of the question on the day I got them. Two in the same day, that's the way it goes. When I bother to take the camera my catch is often rather unremarkable but the day I leave it safe and dry in the truck the fish sometimes are off the charts. You know the drill, some days you just have to ask yourself "am I going fishing or on a photo safari". Maybe this year........a bit of both,

Ard