The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Are You Planning a Trip to Alaska?

There are many on-line resources that you can use to help with getting a trip together. If you would like to talk with someone who lives here. Feel free to post any questions to me. I will answer as I am able or refer you to the person who can help you.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is my wife Nancy after mud wrestling with a silver salmon in the shallows.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-16-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are You Planning a Trip to Alaska?

I always appreciate a picture of a good looking woman in waders.

Am looking to next year (2011)....Thinking about early Sept up to the Brooks Range. Just started looking into it, but I hear it is desolate, beautiful, with great fishing for Grayling and Silvers........your thoughts.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been there. I fish from the rivers and creeks that flow into the Skwentna River and Yetna Rivers. This is the area around our cabin, I also fish from the Talkeetna area throughout the MatSu Valley and pretty much down the Kenai Peninsula and over on Kodiak Island. Someday we may sell the cabin and if that happens I will be free to travel more within the state. Having a place in the bush requires that you go there during the summer and keep things up. This all translates into work and that work takes up precious time that could be spent on a trip to the Brooks Range and countless other destinations.

The cabin on the lake is a beautiful spot but it is a sort of an anchor. You may want to contact AKGuide and inquire as to his knowledge of the Brooks Range fishing opportunities.

Ard
Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 AM

ferb82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
There are many on-line resources that you can use to help with getting a trip together. If you would like to talk with someone who lives here. Feel free to post any questions to me. I will answer as I am able or refer you to the person who can help you.

This is my wife Nancy after mud wrestling with a silver salmon in the shallows.

Wow, What a amazing land! I intend to be there next month. Can I contact you when I will be there?

Last edited by ferb82; 09-14-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Nice pictures. My big trip for 2011 is to Chile but I'm thinking of Alaska in 2012. Maybe I'll see you up there.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My In-laws plan on making the drive to Alaska again next Summer, they drove up last year and absolutely loved every minute of it.

Pam and I are discussing our options for next Summer.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator

That would be nice, time will tell. I hope if you do we have good runs and less rain.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 2Paws,

Brooks Range is a wild place and not like other parts of Alaska. Flying over it in a small plane in the winter is a haunting experience. No place to fly with out good instruments. I know you like to go to an area and hike but you will need to pick your area carefully. September is early winter in the Brooks.

There is some fishing from Barrow and Nuiqsut. You have the Colville river at Nuiqusut but you would need a boat to explore the river. The distance between things in this area is a long ways between. The Noatak would be a choice with easier access from Kotzebue.

There is great Grayling fishing in most of the small rivers that empty into the Arctic Ocean. Easier access and safer are the tribes that empty into the Yukon. I have been to many of these villages and a some are not friendly to strangers. Non-native strangers in particular. It has been years since I left Alaska and native, non-native relationships certainly has changed. I don't know if for the better or worse.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
I always appreciate a picture of a good looking woman in waders.

Am looking to next year (2011)....Thinking about early Sept up to the Brooks Range. Just started looking into it, but I hear it is desolate, beautiful, with great fishing for Grayling and Silvers........your thoughts.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Relations are not as bad as they could be Frank, I have a native acquaintance from Kotzebue and will be getting up to Bethel for a visit in late October. I hope to fish in the YK Delta area next summer. Time will tell.

And 2Paws', the problem with being too far out is it is either catch and eat or C&R because there is no good way to keep fish when you are in the Hitherlands.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

This question or questions will most likely come off as redundant but here goes. I'm planning my trip for the spring of 2011. I'll start with my limitations so we can eliminate alot of excess searching. I will be driving and the areas I would need to know about have to be vehicle accessible no float planes or anything like that I'll be on a tight budget. The tackle is not an issue really, between the switches and single handers I'll be covered fairly well. Now provided I can't fly around where would I start looking for different opportunities? I want to be safe but find some seclusion. Most likely I won't have a sled so I'm assuming that can eliminate a few more areas. I'll be limited to what I can pack in and out. Am I shooting too high or can I find what I'm looking for? Also I wanted to say how awesome it is to have a forum dealing in Alaska questions! Who ever thought of that is genius!!!