The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default alaska question

my wife and i are taking our annual alaska trip in july. we will be fishing the lower kenai peninsula streams mainly for dolly varden as well as coho salmon. the fly selection for the DV is really a **** shoot, egg patterns, nymphs as well as streamers have always been my choice. if anyone has any other "go to" DV flies, i would be curious to know.

casey

ARFE
Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: alaska question

Casey,

I think you ask for 'go to flies' and so I am going to write a reply. All of the dollies that I have posted pictures of and all that I catch every year I catch on feather wing streamers. Up until last year I used only a Nine Three that I had made a few changes on and so call it Ard's Nine Three. I tie two different styles of it and you can find them on the flies for Alaska steelhead & salmon sticky thread. I catch 80% of the trout and steelhead on this pattern also. I'm sorry that I can't show you something that can be tied in 3 minutes or less and will work like a charm but I can't.

Last year I started using a different pattern called The Santiam Spectrum, it is listed also. For whatever reason the char found this fly irresistible and I had to make more so I had enough to finish the season. I didn't lose any, they eventually had to be replaced because the fish dismantled them. Neither of these are simple ties but both are what I tie to my leaders and I will be doing the same thing very soon again.

The Nine Three can be simplified by skipping the butt and the crystal flash that I tie in. I also expect it would work just as well without the jungle cock eyes. I believe that the feather wings in these colors look like salmon fry and are taken as such. Like I said they are all I use and I catch enough to make me think they work well. I like tying flies and I don't get any pleasure out of catching fish on glow bug yarn eggs. I've used yarn eggs and I've caught fish with them but it just wasn't very rewarding. I've been fishing with streamer flies for most of the years that I have fly fished and they are all I use here. There are a few chances each year to use dry flies and so I do this and it reminds me of life back in Pennsylvania where the May Fly was king from April through August. It's nice to get out the old dry fly rods and do some casting for trout and char, every now and then I find some grayling too but most of the time it's streamers.

I don't know what your skills at the vise are like and of course I have no idea of your material stash variety but................ If you want an easy and I will guess effective wet pattern make some woolly buggers in olive and black but instead of palmering with a short chicken hackle wind some black marabou on them and tie it down with fine gold wire. If you want to learn how to do this with stripped marabou so you get a nice job on the flies send a PM and I'll get in touch with you. Tying stripped marabou is simple

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;