The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Willow Creek April 29, 2010

I fished in Willow creek today. The water is not too high but visibility is poor. I saw no evidence of spawning in or around any of the gravel and I saw no trout. With that taken into account I fished a 1.5 Sol Duc for the first 2 3 hours covering deep swift water just off the gravel bars in hopes of finding some fish lurking near the bedding gravel. Considering the number of times I hooked the bottom I am satisfied that depth was not the problem. At noon I went down to the section of river below the Parks bridge and worked the tails of each run and the riffs between the tails and the next run down using a Black & Claret fly tied on a #2 salmon hook. Again contact with the bottom was good but the effort failed to raise any fish.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
I am not a person to continually change flies during a days fishing so these were the only two patterns I fished. If I am able to spot fish and see that they are noticeably disinterested in the fly being offered I do change a color after one or two good presentations. Today this was not a matter that I needed to contend with. It was none the less good to get out and swing some flies and there was no way to know whether the cast that was currently in the water would yield a strike so the day was not a loss. After almost 5 hours with no indication of the presence of fish I withdrew and came home. I chose the big bright Sol Duc based on the fact that the last time I fished Willow for King salmon I witnessed a young fellow catch a trout of about 15 on a huge Pixy Spoon with either chartreuse green or yellow on it I forget which. With that in mind I figured the fish to be less than careful in their feeding habits. Today I figured wrong.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

If you are reading this and live in this area let me know if you are doing any good in any of the open waters of the MatSu Valley.

Ard
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Willow Creek April 29, 2010

Ard: Very nice fishing report and some great looking photos! Makes me dream of fishing in Alaska! Thanks!

Larry
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Ard

Nice report!! Thanks for the pics. Glad you finally got to wet a line!! Can't wait for some pics of more successful outings.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Guys,

I did have a good time but not as good as the dog did! He swam, waded, and ran up and down the shore like the wind. He really likes to go. Sooner or later I'll find them and when I do............................

Ard
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a beautiful creek Ard...pity you couldn't catch any fish even with a "fishing dog".Last week got a call from the Fischmeister and asked him if he planned fishing this week...he told me he had been invited to fish on thursday but he wouldn't go,he was sure it would be bad because of the moonHave you noticed any influence of the moon on your fishing?maybe we could start a thread about it...
Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice report Ard. Fun to see and hear how others do it.
You have the luckiest dog in the world. You too. It warms my heart to see my dogs run in the open.