The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Do You Have a Favorite AK. Fly Pattern?

Hello,

I see that many people are viewing the AK. General discussion threads and I have a question for you. If you have lived in or visited Alaska do you have a favorite fly pattern that you used or use when fishing AK. If so please post your choices here to this thread so that I might include them in the Flies for Alaska threads.

If you know the tying recipe that would be nice and if you would like to tie , photo, and post them yourself I would appreciate it. If not, I will tie any patterns submitted or requested and post them.

Thank you

Ard
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite AK. Fly Pattern?

Here you go Ard, but I have to include my disclaimer....I really don't know what I am doing and my favorite fly is a streamer, not because I think it is the most productive, but because it's my favorite way to fish.

Number 8 hook, with 10 wraps of lead, covered that pearl colored shiney stuff, with a couple long strands so it sparkles. Black rabbit on the top, white on the bellow with some red near the eyes. I initially started with cones but evolved to yellow eyes. I put the eyes on the underside, thinking that would keep the hook down.

Used it on my first trip to Alaska and it was my go to fly on our last trip. Caught fish from Peters Creek, to Quartz Creek, to the Russian.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mark,

It looks like a winner to me. This would be good on the salmon thread.......................
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

My two favorites are a bit simpler than some of your works of art. The first has produced many Silvers for me.

Gold and Pink Flash Fly

The second is for Dollies and Rainbows. Its also one of my goto bugger patterns in NY for the lake run Browns.

Red and Black Bugger

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Those flies look great. The eyes on yours 2Paws look as real as any that I've seen.
It's official. I'm losing it LOL. I saw your title Ard, and googled AK Best. Spent 30 min. looking for his patterns. Can't be done. Just found books.