The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Kings are starting to arive;

Hi guys,

Yep, they get so thick that you have to cut the motor when you approach shore or you will clog the intake foot with them. I never had caught any with a fly rod but they saved me from getting skunked. I went looking for trout in one of my streams but found it void of any. The ice just went off the lakes about 11 days ago and nothing has moved up the creeks yet. I wanted to go to the Tal but if the trout aren't showing in my little creek then a long ride up there would probably have gave the same results.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful pics Ardlucky you to escape our rotten world at timeshope to see pics of salmon caught on the Alaskan Tsarina soon
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JP,

I need to find the fish before I can catch them. The first runs are King salmon and I will be using much larger flies that the Tsarina right now. Have no fear the steelhead that travel with the salmon will love it

I am shutting off the computer, gassing up the boat and leaving right now.

Ard
Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun! I can feel myself getting closer to the "Alaska fishing trip" every day.

Good luck!

Pocono
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Kings are starting to arrive;

Looks like it is still early. I fished and floated for a little over eight hours and had no action. However I spoke to a fellow at the Point Mackenzie General Store on the way home this evening who reported flying over the Inlet yesterday and seeing roughly sixty Beluga Whales bunched at the mouth of the river. This means that the Herring and the Kings are at the mouth. In a few days there should be more fish entering the river.

The river is high and off color so I spent the morning fishing weighted flies in known channels with no fish sighted or hooked. The afternoon was more fun even though the results were the same. I used my 13' rod and a Hi density tip (which works really well) and spent a few hours swinging a 0/1 Sol Duc pattern tied nice and full. The fly is a high visibility pattern and had I been able to raise a fish with it .................... Well, that would be really a nice thing.

Oh well the season is just getting started,

Ard

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-28-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I used my 13' rod and a Hi density tip (which works really well) and spent a few hours swinging a 0/1 Sol Duc pattern tied nice and full.
Ard

What's a Hi density tip?

Pocono
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: I really appreciate your fishing updates and reports even when you don't raise any fish. Most of us dream of fishing in Alaska, but few of us can afford to make the trip, so with your reports we can somehow live the experience.

Larry
Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear you enjoy the local news Larry, Allen; a Hi density tip is a super fast sinking 15' head. They are very dark brown (I like that part) and the tip will take even an unweighted fly to the bottom and keep it there during the 'Wet fly swing'. Last year I got a 13' two hand rod for some areas here where you must cast across the channel to reach the lies but have little or no room for a 30' or longer back cast. I am by no means a spey casting expert but manage to get the fly where I want it most of the time. I can see that as my casting skills improve with this rod it will be a fairly easy way to fish some otherwise difficult stretches. I haven't been using sink tips per say since 1994 and am quite happy with how this one works. The lines come with 4 interchangeable tips ranging from floating to depth charge type.

It will be fun when I finally hook one,

Ard

PS. Here is a Sol Duc, the fly I was using was much larger than this one but quite the same. I was able to spot it so I'm sure if a fish were near it will not go unnoticed. Since I had to tug it from the bottom frequently I know that the tip was doing its job well.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-28-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Glad to hear you enjoy the local news Larry, Allen; a Hi density tip is a super fast sinking 15' head. They are very dark brown (I like that part) and the tip will take even an unweighted fly to the bottom and keep it there during the 'Wet fly swing'. Last year I got a 13' two hand rod for some areas here where you must cast across the channel to reach the lies but have little or no room for a 30' or longer back cast. I am by no means a spey casting expert but manage to get the fly where I want it most of the time. I can see that as my casting skills improve with this rod it will be a fairly easy way to fish some otherwise difficult stretches. I haven't been using sink tips per say since 1994 and am quite happy with how this one works. The lines come with 4 interchangeable tips ranging from floating to depth charge type.

It will be fun when I finally hook one,

Ard

PS. Here is a Sol Duc, the fly I was using was much larger than this one but quite the same. I was able to spot it so I'm sure if a fish were near it will not go unnoticed. Since I had to tug it from the bottom frequently I know that the tip was doing its job well.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Ard,

Are you talking about he Rio VersaTip system? I know that they come with 4 tips of various densities.

Nice tie on the Sol Duc pattern! What material are you using for the palmered body hackle?

Pocono
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Allen,

I have a SA Short Head 4 tip line. The hackle on the fly is burnt goose shoulder. You bleach it and then dye to suit for color.

I will be better able to report on the King returns in a few more weeks. As for a start things are not looking so good numbers wise. Last year nearly every river except the Kenai and the Yentna were closed to fishing for kings due to radically low returns. These closures ranged from all the way up at the Yukon Kuskokwim river systems down to the various creeks between here and Talkeetna. It was a bad thing.

Currently I am in a bad way as for fishing options. All creeks have been closed to fishing for rainbow / steelhead trout through June 15th and the king return is less than great. The Kenai is open but that is a 160 mile drive and I have no real time intelligence on the numbers there other than the updates to the state fish counts taken by sonar. As of May 29, the count was at 639 fish, that does not warrant a drive to Soldotna. The Kenai is a very big river and even if twice that number have came in it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I am doing my best to remain positive here...........................