The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kings are starting to arrive;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allen,

I have a SA Short Head 4 tip line. The hackle on the fly is burnt goose shoulder. You bleach it and then dye to suit for color.

I will be better able to report on the King returns in a few more weeks. As for a start things are not looking so good numbers wise. Last year nearly every river except the Kenai and the Yentna were closed to fishing for kings due to radically low returns. These closures ranged from all the way up at the Yukon Kuskokwim river systems down to the various creeks between here and Talkeetna. It was a bad thing.

Currently I am in a bad way as for fishing options. All creeks have been closed to fishing for rainbow / steelhead trout through June 15th and the king return is less than great. The Kenai is open but that is a 160 mile drive and I have no real time intelligence on the numbers there other than the updates to the state fish counts taken by sonar. As of May 29, the count was at 639 fish, that does not warrant a drive to Soldotna. The Kenai is a very big river and even if twice that number have came in it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I am doing my best to remain positive here...........................
Ard: That is bad news indeed, a second year where the King return is less than steller, sorry to hear that, sure hope that isn't an indication of how the season will go.

Larry
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry here is a link to the state fish count page, it is sobering when you sift through the annual data and plot the runs based on the number of years for maturation of the various species.

Fish Counts - Sport Fish - ADF&G

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Larry here is a link to the state fish count page, it is sobering when you sift through the annual data and plot the runs based on the number of years for maturation of the various species.

Ard: Thanks, that doesn't look good at all, very sad news indeed!

Larry
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:

Ard,

Thanks for the fish count link - it really tells a tale. The current run of Kings (or lack thereof) may not bode well for the rest of the year and potentially for future years as well. The steady drop over the last 5 years in the late run reds on the Kenai also tell a very sobering tale. I hope I am not forced to say "You should have seen it when...." sometime down the road. I would much rather see the stocks improve and then we can say "Right now, these are the good 'old' days".

I am on hold for a medical clearance to determine if I can make it up there this summer - if I can get there, I hope the fish runs improve. You mentioned the closing of the streams & creeks, has there been any discussion regarding reducing creel limits?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

If you can come, you be sure to contact me. I will come to meet you and unless you are with a large group I will take you fishing. None of my boats will accommodate a gang. The pontoon boat is only two man and the river boat will carry two passengers but you loose draft with each additional person. Remember I always take Boss and he weighs almost 95 lbs.

I moan and groan about fish but once things get started I'll be in overdrive for three months. However I do believe we have missed the golden years here...............

Ard

Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
If you can come, you be sure to contact me. I will come to meet you and unless you are with a large group I will take you fishing. None of my boats will accommodate a gang. The pontoon boat is only two man and the river boat will carry two passengers but you loose draft with each additional person. Remember I always take Boss and he weighs almost 95 lbs.

I moan and groan about fish but once things get started I'll be in overdrive for three months. However I do believe we have missed the golden years here...............

Ard
Assuming I can make it this year, it would just be myself and a friend from Montana who has never fished Alaska. I will probably plan to hit the Kenai late July/early August - catch the late run of reds & the start of peak trout.

I hated to read your last statement, but unfortunately I fear that you may be very correct!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Just let me know if & when you are coming. Even if I have to come down to the Peninsula it will be good to meet. I / we do go to the Kenai and many other rivers and creeks down there every year but I also spend a lot of time here in the valley.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,
I have to scroll down this far more often. Those pics are fantastic!