The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default List of Emergency Orders for Alaska Fishing;

This will take you directly to the State web site for Fish & Game.

Emergency Orders & News Releases - Sport Fish - ADF&G
Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: List of Emergency Orders for Alaska Fishing;

Hi Ard, thanks for sharing. It looks like the Kings are in trouble everywhere around Alaska. The Southeast looks to be better than the Central area. Even Kasilof which is augmented with planters has restrictions. I see the Karluk River on Kodiak is restricted too. The Karluk is better known for its Steelhead fishing. Most of the Salmon are taken by the village.

Frank
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Frank,

The problem here is that I am fast running out of fishing opportunities for almost anything

Ard
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Ard and Frank

I think Alaska has maintained a very good reputation for managing their fisheries, but this is really tragic and seems to have caught everyone at ADF&G off guard. And it's surprising that the didn't go through the step down of catch and release before shutting the whole fishery down. As well as being a disaster for the stocks it must be really hammering the local economy.

Is there any sense of what's causing the crash in returns in Kings and Sockeye? It seems like it's not limited to the Kenai but is more widespread. Are other stocks like steelhead and silvers affected too?

Good luck, I hope this sorts itself out and the run is just a bit late....
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Mark,

Rather than to open my mouth just to change feet I will write at length on this topic later in the season. It is not my intention to make Chicken Little reports based on knee jerk responses. I will address this using what I have learned via on site observations and available data. What I can tell you about the closings "To protect spawning Steelhead / Rainbow Trout" is that in some areas snagging is a major problem.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;