The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Cool The Wait is Over, Salmon Time in Alaska!

Even I sometimes wonder, why live in a place where the weather can be sooo bad. The long dark winters, the rain, the cold springs, all for what? For what! When it finally breaks and I find some fish I do what I dreamed of as a little boy. I catch salmon and sometimes a bunch of salmon. Once again it's time to go chase fish!

I spent the balance of today getting the boat ready for a camping trip on a river. There's still a whole lot to do before 5:00 AM tomorrow but I had to make a post about going. Time will tell whether or not I find any but I know where to look and that is the important part.

Oil change, new fuel filter, plugs, and a new battery put things in order. I still have to organize the boat box which is filled with the emergency gear and make a run to town for some supplies. Nancy is going along so there will be two rods working when we locate fish. Two weeks ago I did a float and now we're ready to go under power, it should be fun.

If you have lived here or visited you know what these are. I cleaned it all up and had to paste a few pictures.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

If you ever read a post by me or anyone and it mentions 'Tunnel Hulls' this is what they are. Our boat is a shallow tunnel, (the old boat had a 4" one) and when you have the motor trimmed just right these boats will scoot over just 2 - 3" of water. Prop's are faster and more economical fuel wise but these are the ticket for the rivers I fish & travel.

This is the inside of the little boat. It is 18.5 long and I forget the beam width. The rubber mats are great and quiet too.

I had to have this, they should have given it to me but I gave 3.50 just to stick that on my console.

If you are ever going to be in my neighborhood and just don't know where to get fishing you should drop me a line. I have this thing on the rivers here about 1500 miles each season, in that many miles I find a few out of the way spots.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wait is Over, Salmon Time in Alaska!

Ard: Looks like you're all set, hope you have a great time and hook into some great fish!

Larry

Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Ard - Hell of a boat, hell of a lifestyle. Good for you!
Gary
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Hey Ard,
Nice boat and well outfitted to run the rivers The decal is a nice touch, really like the rubber mats. Job well done.
I spent the better part of one summer on the SE coast of Alaska, I really enjoyed it. Have fun and be safe. Oh yea, bring back lots of pics.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

I am charging the extra batteries for the camera now but sometimes having a camera isn't the answer. The fish are kings and they are becoming few and far between so it will take all of the knowhow I have gathered to find the right spot. It's not just about fishing, it's about knowing where to find them and so I'll see how it goes.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Thanks Guys

I am charging the extra batteries for the camera now but sometimes having a camera isn't the answer. The fish are kings and they are becoming few and far between so it will take all of the knowhow I have gathered to find the right spot. It's not just about fishing, it's about knowing where to find them and so I'll see how it goes.
Ard: I couldn't agree more, but you have put the time in on your local streams so if the fish have moved in, I'm confident you will find them!

Larry

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Administrator

I am hoping I can Larry, I don't want to sound brash, but generally if I can find them I can catch some They are definitely in the rivers now but it's early and the numbers aren't great. I just can't keep waiting, someone has to hit the head of the run If you wait until everybody's talking you've waited too long.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking set up Ard, we wish You, Nancy, and Boss the best of luck, be safe.
I'm thinking we'll be in "your hood" around the end of July, beginning of August 2012.
Stinks that it didn't work out for this summer, but the yard is progressing nicely.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Ard,

I'm envious I wish I could do what you do and live as you have made possible for you and your significant other. Hopefully, one day.

I hope this a great adventure and you come back with a some great fish tales and pictures.

I'd like to know more about that boat as I've been researching something that I could use on places like the Lower Sacramento and Lower Yuba rivers that takes an outboard. I am just not confident that with asthma I should try a drift boat though after drifting the Lower Sac for 2 days a drift boat is ideal, but I think I need to come up with some kind of a compromise. Looking at your boat I think that design would be make a decent all around fishing craft that I could use on larger lakes and perhaps even in the CA. Delta as well.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Good Luck Ard,
I took some time off work and will be heading south this weekend. Seward and the lower Kenai and Kasilof are on the agenda. I did hit the flood tide this afternoon at Ship and it was slow...not many people but didnt see a single hookup. The rumor was that someone landed a little king out of there yesterday on the AM tide. I have head Deshka kings are trickling in. I am thinking I will be heading out that way next weekend.

Nice set up, gotta have the jet unit up here for sure.