The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default First Memorial Day in Alaska

Since this is Memorial Day I thought I would share my first one in Alaska.

We arrived in Anchorage on May 5th 1974 and bought a house in Eagle Rived on the 7th. Knowing that we had a three day weekend coming up I sat down with some maps and decided where we were going to spend the holiday. I checked out the water and campgrounds all the way to Montana Creek before the weekend came. The decision was to camp at Montana Creek and catch some Grayling or what ever was available.

We left Saturday morning checking out all of the camping along the way finding everything full to the brim. When we got to Montana Creek it was more then full and we never even got out of the car. Since it was our first trip after moving to Alaska we didn't know of any place to go except the main river crossings. We finally found a wide cut where the highway made its way through a hill and we stopped there. Pitched the tend up against the cut face and by now it was time to eat. We had brought along some Salmon steaks and a can of pork and beans. We had never had pork and beans with Salmon before. That was the best Salmon we ever had after a long frustrating day. To this day we still eat pork and beans with our Salmon Steaks.

I didn't make an attempt to fish and we returned home the next morning. It was quite a let down from what we had anticipated on our first outing in Alaska. This was just the beginning of many wonderful Alaska trips that will never be forgotten.

Frank
Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Memorial Day in Alaska

Thanks for sharing this"souvenir" Franknot sure I will try your pork salmon and beans recipe
Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Small beginnings often lead to great futures. Nice story; thanks.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 05-31-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Nice story, thanks for sharing! As you and I have learned, the campgrounds on the Parks Hwy can get filled fast on holidays, it is bad enough on regular weekends when the salmon are running.

Larry

Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Nice story!

It hasn't changed yet. My wife asked where we were camping Thursday night, so I looked but it was full (as expected) so my weekend plan of still water every day and driving from Eagle River worked. (I still don't know why she decided she wanted to camp on the day before the holiday weekend)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You sure have some memories Frank. As the years went on you had experiences that were much better than those filled campgrounds though. My first was spent camped in the Kenai Municipal Park in 1989. I went back to try finding my campsite in 2006 and the whole area had been built up so much I couldn't recognize the place.

Nancy and I spent Friday & Saturday camped on a back braid island on the Susitna River. The weather was perfect, mid 70's with sunshine. We saw no one, no boats, and had our privet beach to walk on for the two days. Moose, there were moose walking around the island too, but they made no noise so they were no problem

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;